What are the first 3 things I need to do after the authorities let us back in?
- Call your insurance agent or carrier to file a claim and to review available coverage. If you need assistance, Anew Kind of Clean will be happy to assist you.
- Try not to touch anything before damage is recorded on film, digital image or videotape.
- Call a licensed restoration specialist to help assess the damage. There should be no charge for this service. The more reputable companies will have the resources to start work immediately.
Is it safe to sleep in a house with smoke, sewage, or water damage?
Only if the damage is minor or confined to a small area. Otherwise, the answer is NO.
- Residual smoke and ash contain hazardous particles, such as carcinogens, that can lead to serious illness if inhaled. In commercial structures and older homes, smoke and ash may also contain asbestos particles.
- Standing water or raw sewage may contain dangerous pathogens and bacteria, both airborne and settled, which are extremely dangerous if inhaled.
Can I begin the clean up myself?
In the case of a burned structure with soot and ash present - the answer is NO. If you or your employees do attempt to stem further damage from a water or sewage leak, you must wear PPE (personal protective equipment), including Suit, Mask, Gloves, Respirator, and Boots.
How fast can cleanup begin?
That's up to you. It's always best to check your homeowners' policy for coverage issues. Once you decide, Anew can be on-site, starting the cleanup in a matter of hours.
This is a stressful time. How do I make sure I'm getting all that my insurance policy entitles me to?
Be Methodical. Be knowledgeable. Be detailed. Document your damages. If you are not prepared to do so, Anew at your request can help in this process. Everyone at Anew is concerned about your precious belongings. Treating the home or business owner the way we want to be treated, we carefully document all damages with digital cameras and video recorders. Make sure you know how to prepare a detailed damage assessment. Anew is fully prepared to assist you with detailed cost breakdowns in the exact format insurance companies require.
Do restoration companies just clean? Am I responsible for securing plumbers, electricians, contractors, air-conditioning and heating specialists and other vendors?
Some restoration companies are limited to cleanup and drying, but not Anew. Anew has teamed up with professional licensed contractors and work closely with numerous construction professionals. We can handle complete restoration of your home or business, so you can get your life back to normal as quickly as possible.
Can I touch things in my damages property?
You should move valuable items that are in harm way as quickly as possible. If furniture and antiques are sitting in standing water, move them to a dry location if possible. Remove any fragile, personal or valuable items. Do not try to remove carpeting, drywall, or flooring.
How can I be sure I'm hiring the best, most professional restoration company?
First, check their certifications. A qualified restoration company needs to be certified by the IICRC (the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration).
How do I remove spots from spills on my carpet?
A comprehensive list of solutions to Carpet Spot Solving.
What are some maintenance tips to extend my carpet's cleanliness?
A few basic tips are to:
Remove shoes before entering your home.
Wipe pet paws when they come inside, this will greatly improve your carpet's appearance.
Wear socks to keep the oils from our feet off the carpet fibers.